Monday, May 28, 2012


This Memorial Day was a little different for us this year.  First of all I'd like to say THANK YOU to all those have have served or are currently serving for our Country; especially my son-in-law, Kyle Kelly.  We are so very proud of you.  Second of all, we spent the holiday weekend at home.  I can't remember the last time we spent Memorial Day weekend at home.  We usually go somewhere, like home to Nevada, MO or to our friends in Little Rock Arkansas and the infamous Riverfest.  But not this year.  It was quiet around here. 

Thank goodness today is over though, my body can't take much more of what I put it through today.  We got a lot accomplished though.  Dear sweet hubby finally put up the new light fixture (that we have had since the first of March).  I think it was time for a change in there.  The old one was straight from 1976 when the house was built. 

And just why in the world would someone put the hole for the light fixture less than 6" from the ceiling.  We had one heck of a time getting this new one up.  I had to scrape some of the "popcorn" off the ceiling to get it to fit. 

And then our "cover the ugly fence" project began.  This "beautiful" wooden fence runs the entire length of property in the back yard, 175 feet of dilapidated, rotten, wooden fence .  It doesn't belong to us or it would have come down 5 years ago when we moved in.  For 5 years I have tried to come up with ideas to hide it.  The previous owner planted 5 crepe myrtles but they were the tree variety and no one trimmed them back so now they are way above the fence.  Two years ago I planted 4 large pampas grasses, 4Texas Sage bushes (which died), and 3 Oleander bushes.  The Oleander are finally doing better and might help cover it up. 

About a month ago, I came up with the brain child idea of planting ivy along the fence line.  I already have some ivy growing on the front side of the house, which I'm not extremely fond of.  It does a nice job of covering up my nice beautiful brick that I really don't want to cover up.  Soo... I took some cuttings and sent them to school with William for the FFA kids to try their hand at getting them to root.  It took 4 weeks, but some of them finally did.  The only problem is that I only have about 1/10 of what I need.   

Now comes the "hard on my body" part.  The soil up next to the fence is really poor and shallow.  Gregg and I installed a sort of raised flower bed along then fence line only about 4" wide and 4" deep.  We used cedar 1x4's and a 2x2 stake to join them and hold them in place.  I bought Miracle Grow garden soil and filled the bed up.  I paid a visit to my local nursery and broke down and purchased a flat of ivy to see how far it would go.   I alternated my ivy cuttings with the purchased ivy plants   

I now have about 1/3 of the length of the fence line planted.  I have the soaker hose ready to day down in the raised bed.

Thank goodness I didn't have any more ivy or garden soil to put down because I don't think my knees or my body could do this anymore.  Notice how red my knees are here?  This was at least 3 hours later and as I write this my knees are still just as red.  I hope I can move in the morning!

Oh yeah, and I also finished quilting the #3 Texas Wildlowers Quilt.  I'd post pictures but I'm too pooped!

1 comment

  1. Sounds like you have accomplished a lot today--hope the knees feel better soon. I too have ugly neighbor fences--but only high-alkaline city water, so I struggle with what to do for my entire yard. I scattered a lot of morning glory seeds along one of the fences, but they aren't up yet. The bluebells (not quite like TX bluebells) are blooming, but, in a helpful moment, my daughter decided to Weed Eat the ones by the fence an even some of them by the house.
    Yes, I'm a better quiltmaker than gardener!!!


Your comments make my day. I love to hear what you have to say. Please leave me a comment.

© The Quilting Queen Online | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig